According to the UN, more than 80% of the worldwide trade is transported by ships and handled by seaports around the world. As the demand for the carriage of goods by sea increases from year to year, Legrant’s team has all necessary knowledge and years of experience in providing comprehensive legal support in international trade focusing on maritime law.
Legrant’s lawyers have deep knowledge of both Ukrainian and English contract law and provide legal services at all stages of export and import of goods
In addition, we specialize in legal aspects of selling and purchasing agricultural products and know the pro forma of GAFTA and FOSFA contracts. We also represent interests of our clients in arbitration procedures at these associations.
Due to considerable experience Legrant is recommended as a reliable advisor in maritime law and shipping for its deep expertise. In particular, the company is ranked among the Top 5 leading Ukrainian law firms in Maritime & Shipping by the research ‘Ukrainian Law Firms2018. A Handbook for Foreign clients, and the lawyers are recognized in the Top 10 best practitioners in maritime law by the ‘Client’s Choice’ ranking (Yuridicheskaya Gazeta 2017).
- drafting and analyzing contracts for the sale/purchase of goods under the English law, including GAFTA/FOSFA pro forms;
- advising during contract execution;
- advising on forwarding issues;
- out of court settlement and dispute resolution under chartering contracts and bills of lading;
- drafting and maintaining dispute settlement agreement (washout agreement);
- advising on trade finance issues;
- advising on currency, export/import controls;
- advising on customs procedures: registration, declaration, control, customs value, Ukrainian classification of foreign economics goods, appeal against decisions of regulatory authorities;
- advising on investment projects in the framework of both national legislation and international agreements;
- representation of client’s interests at national courts and international arbitration (FOSFA, GAFTA, LMAA).
- charging or contestation of demurrage and dispatch;
- arrest of ships and cargo, removal of arrest;
- charter cancellation;
- cargo lien;
- legal support in cases of accident;
- legal support in conclusion of the contracts for construction, purchase or sale of vessels;
- legal support in vessel registration.